Californian Banana Cake
This recipe has been shared with us by Victoria Perreau.
"When preparing to submit this banana cake as an entry I nearly called it 'Yet Another Banana Cake,' as there are a lot around. However, I have tried a lot of those recipes and I still keep coming back to this one. I was given the recipe by a roommate when I was studying in California a very long time ago, hence the name. I have adapted it from a traditional method, and although it has a couple more steps than most banana cake / bread recipes, they are worth it to get the beautiful texture!" - Victoria
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Taste was really good. Perfect for school lunches." - Prue
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 10 minutes + cooling time
Cooking Time 40 minutes
Can be frozen
- Cake batter:
- sugar - 120g
- banana - 250g, overripe, mashed (approx. 2 large bananas)
- butter - 120g, unsalted, cubed and softened
- eggs - 2, large
- self raising flour - 220g
- bicarb soda - 1 tsp
- salt - 1 tsp
- sour cream - 110g
- vanilla - 1 tsp
- icing sugar - 300g
- butter - 50g, unsalted
- lemon juice - 50g (from approx. 1 lemon)
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line a 20cm square cake tin with baking paper.
- Add the sugar (120g) to the bowl. Mill Speed 9 / 5 seconds. Set aside.
- Without washing the bowl, add the bananas (250g) to the bowl. Mash Speed 6 / 5 seconds. Set aside.
- Add the prepared sugar and butter (120g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 20 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Repeat Speed 4 / 20 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Start the blades at Speed 4 and add the eggs (2) one at a time through the lid. It should take about 20 seconds.
- Add the self raising flour (220g), bicarb soda (1 tsp) and salt (1 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 10 seconds.
- Add the mashed bananas, sour cream (110g) and vanilla (1 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 20 seconds.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
- If you need to make your own icing sugar, add sugar (300g) to the bowl and grind Speed 9 / 10 seconds.
- To the icing sugar (300g), add the butter (50g) and lemon juice (50g). Program 2 minutes / Speed 3 until pale and fluffy.
- Ice the cake when it is completely cool.