Butternut Pumpkin with Pomegranate Stuffing
Having a balanced diet is an art that everyone wishes to master. This stuffed butternut pumpkin recipe should do the trick for you! It is packed with healthy ingredients such as carrots, pomegranate and celery and makes an ideal vegetarian main course. You can prepare this dish in advance and even halve the filling ingredients so there is just enough to stuff the pumpkin and grill it on the BBQ. We love to serve the extra filling as a tasty side dish. Being healthy has never been more colourful!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This dish is wonderfully satisfying and filling. Left to bake in a hot oven the feta develops a delicious crunch to it and its saltiness compliments the natural sweetness of the butternut pumpkin and pomegranate perfectly." - Claire
No: Gluten / Egg
Contains: Dairy / Nuts
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 30-60 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- pumpkin - 1, large, butternut
- eschallots - 2
- garlic clove - 1
- fresh parsley - 1/2 bunch
- spring onion - 4
- celery - 4, sticks, roughly chopped
- carrot - 2
- mushrooms - 200g, chestnut
- white rice - 200g, cooked (approx. 70g uncooked)
- pomegranate - 1
- feta cheese - 150g
- salt - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1/2 tsp, black
- olive oil - 1 Tbsp
- Preheat the oven to 220C.
- Halve the pumpkin (1) lengthways.
- Peel and roughly chop one half. See images in the gallery.
- Scoop out the other half with a spoon so that a cavity remains.
- Take all the chopped up flesh from the first half and place in the bowl. Chop roughly Speed 5 / 4 seconds. Set aside.
- For the vegetable filling, place the eschalots (2), garlic (1), parsley (1/2 bunch), spring onions (4), roughly celery (4) and carrots (2) into the bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 4 seconds. Set aside.
- Place the mushrooms (200g) into the bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 3 seconds.
- Add the chopped pumpkin flesh, vegetable filling and cooked white rice (200g) to the bowl. Combine Reverse+Speed 5 / 8 seconds. This is the base of your stuffing.
- Place the hollow pumpkin in a large oiled roasting tray.
- Take the stuffing and pack inside the hollow pumpkin, then scatter the remaining filling around the pumpkin in the tin.
- Halve the pomegranate (1) and use a wooden spoon to tap the back of the pomegranate, pouring the pomegranate seeds (arils) over the stuffing. Alternatively, quarter the pomegranate with a sharp knife, and add pieces to the bowl and Reverse+Speed 4 / 1 second to separate the arils from the exterior.
- Crumble the feta cheese (150g) over the top and season with salt (1 tsp), black pepper (1/2 tsp) and olive oil (1 Tbsp).
- Bake in the oven for 30 - 60 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve immediately.