Fresh Mexican cuisine is full of flavour and healthy ingredients… especially when you make it from home! We have created a way to give the whole family a delicious Mexican feast using a variety of yummy nutritious ingredients. This will be far cheaper than taking everyone out to get a burrito! You don’t have to make the whole feast by any stretch of the imagination, and there are lots of variations available to tweak this to make it perfect for your family. For example, you can choose to serve as a Mexican salad instead of burritos. For a different filling idea, use the Chilli Con Carne recipe.
No: Egg / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Dairy
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten / Dairy
Total Preparation Time 1 hour
Serves 6 (Makes 12 Burritos)
Chicken can be frozen
- tortillas - wraps (*can use corn for GF), make your own from The Lunchbox Issue
- cheese - 250g, grated
- lettuce - optional
- spinach - optional
- Shredded Chicken:
- chicken breasts - 500g
- taco seasoning - 2 tsp, can use homemade from the 'Make Your Own' Bonus Issue
- Pico de Gallo (fresh salsa):
- onion - 1/2, red, approx. 100g
- garlic clove - 1
- fresh coriander - 1 bunch, reserve 15g for the burrito bean mix
- tomato - 200g, deseeded
- salt - to taste
- Burrito Bean Mix:
- brown rice - 200g
- water - 1L
- fresh coriander - 15g
- red kidney beans - 400g can, drained
- corn - 400g can, drained
- salt - to taste
To serve all the components we recommend the following timeline:
- Add cheese (250g) to the bowl. Grate Speed 8 / 8 seconds. Return to fridge in a storage container. Clean / dry bowl.
- Add onion (100g), garlic clove (1) and coriander (1 bunch, reserving 15g) to the bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 2 seconds.
- Add deseeded tomatoes (from 200g of whole tomatoes) to the bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 3 seconds.
- Set aside salsa in the fridge in a storage container.
- Fill your bowl with water (1000g).
- Insert internal steaming basket and fill with brown rice (200g). Program 30 minutes / 110C* / Speed 4.
- While the rice is cooking, cook your chicken pieces with taco seasoning (2 tsp) in a frypan on the stove until they are cooked through.
- Once rice has cooked, remove the internal steaming basket with your spatula and drain, clean and dry your bowl.
- Add coriander (15g) and drained red kidney beans (from 400g tin) to the bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 1 second.
- Add drained corn (from 400g tin), cooked brown rice and salt to the bowl. Combine Reverse+Speed 4 / 4 seconds, or until combined. Set aside in your insulated server.
- No need to clean the bowl. Add cooked chicken to the bowl. Shred Reverse+Speed 4 / 4 seconds.
- Serve the wraps, cheese, salsa, bean mix and chicken out on the table and allow everyone to make their own wraps. Grill on the toasted sandwich maker if desired.
* If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.