Budget Beef Bourguignon
For this recipe we are taking the fancy beef Bourguignon with Burgundy wine, porchetta, pearl onions and bouquet garni... and replacing them with a cheap cut of beef, bacon, a cheap bottle of red wine and basic vegetables. We love that this recipe makes a huge amount, so it’s perfect for batch cooking.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Really easy, tasty and makes a LOT!" - Penny
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 30 minutes
Cooking Time 3 hours
Can be frozen
- Beef Bourguignon:
- garlic cloves - 4, peeled
- onions - 2, peeled and quartered
- bacon - 200g, middle, diced
- gravy beef - 2-2.5kg, diced, or other cheaper cut of casserole beef
- plain flour - 1/4 cup,
- carrots - 3, large, sliced into coins
- dried thyme - 1 Tbsp, or fresh
- butter - 2 Tbsp
- mushrooms - 350g, quartered
- red wine - 750g (use a cheaper merlot or pinot noir)
- vegetable stock - 40g, paste
- vegetables of choice - you may have on hand, optional
- Mashed potato: (optional)
- potatoes - 400g, cut into small chunks
- water - 600g, warm
- butter - 40g
- milk - 30g
- salt flakes - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1 tsp, black, ground
- Add garlic cloves (4) and onions (2) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 1 second, measuring cap on. Scrape down sides.
- Add bacon (200g) to the bowl. Program 10 minutes / 115C* / Reverse+Speed 1, measuring cap off.
- While that is cooking, dice the beef (2-2.5kg) into 2-3cm cubes and coat in plain flour (1/4 cup) seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 150C.
- Add carrot slices (from 3 carrots) and thyme (1 Tbsp) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Stirring Speed, measuring cap off.
- While that is cooking, heat the casserole dish (or frying pan) to medium high heat. Add butter (2 Tbsp) to the pan.
- Add mushrooms (250g), wine (750g) and stock paste (40g) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1, measuring cap on.
- While that is cooking, seal the beef on the stove in batches. It does not need to cook through. Simply seal the outside of the diced beef.
- Once the beef is sealed and the sauce has finished in the mixer, put all sealed beef in the casserole dish, pour the sauce over the beef and stir through.
- Transfer to the oven, with the lid on, for 2 hours 30 minutes.
- After 2 hours 30 minutes, stir through and cook for another 30 minutes with the lid off before serving with your preferred accompaniments. Feel free to add in any extra vegetables you may have on hand here. Chop into bite-size pieces and stir through.
Mashed potato (optional accompaniment):
- While it is finishing, cook the mashed potato, or your preferred accompaniments.
- Place potatoes (400g) into internal steaming basket. Cover with warm water (600g). Program 25 minutes / 100C / Speed 2, measuring cap on.
- Drain water. Add potatoes back into bowl with butter (40g), milk (30g), salt (1 tsp) and pepper (1 tsp). Mix on Speed 4 until slightly mashed.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.