Brown Sugar Butter Wings
Chicken wings are the ultimate budget-friendly party food. A little bit of cash goes a long way when it comes to wings. This particular flavour combo is absolutely delicious, and easy on the wallet as it uses ingredients you’ve most likely already got in your kitchen. To save more money, purchase the chicken wings whole and prepare them as per the video below. This recipe costs less than buying pre-marinated chicken wings. To save extra money, buy chillies in bulk when they are in season and store in the freezer. As an alternative to this marinade, you could use the Honey Soy Marinade in the 'Make Your Own' Subscriber Bonus Issue.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Three words to describe this dish - Cheap, Easy and YUMMY! A definite crowd pleaser - your friends will be begging for more!" - Channy
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes + marinating time (2+ hours)
Cooking Time 50 minutes
Makes approximately 20 pieces, depending on the size of your wings
Can be reheated prior to serving
- chilli - 1, seeded or deseeded based on your preferred level of heat
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- brown sugar - 30g
- butter - 50g
- water - 20g
- onion powder - 1 tsp
- paprika - 2 tsp
- pepper - 1 tsp, ground
- salt - 1.5 tsp
- chicken wings - 1 kg, separated into wingette and drummette, wing tip discarded
- water - 800g, hot
- Add chilli (1) and garlic (2) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add brown sugar (30g) and butter (50g) to the bowl. Program 3 minutes / 60C / Speed 3.
- Add water (20g), onion powder (1 tsp), paprika (2 tsp), pepper (1 tsp) and salt (1.5 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 5 seconds.
- Coat wings and transfer to a snug container, cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Add hot water (800g) to the mixer bowl.
- Transfer chicken wings to the steaming attachment. You can use both the lower dish and the upper tray.
- Baste with any remaining marinade. Set the internal steaming attachment in place.
- Program 30 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- Once the wings have finished steaming, transfer to a lined baking tray and into the oven.
- Cook the wings for 10 minutes before turning each wing over and cooking for another 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool a little before serving. If not serving immediately, you can reheat prior to serving.