Brown Sugar Baked Ham
This delicious brown sugared ham is a great main to serve for a hot Christmas dinner but also any time of the year! Leftovers are great served the next morning on toast with a little relish.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This is such an easy way to jazz up your ham for the Christmas table. Smells, looks and tastes amazing!" - Sally
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 25 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour 20 minutes for 1/2 leg, 1 hour 45 minutes for whole leg
Can be frozen
- ham - 1/2, or 1-2kg, leg ham portion
- cloves - whole
- Honey mustard glaze:
- brown sugar - 100g
- Worcestershire sauce - 30g (*ensure GF if required; make your own with the Worcestershire Sauce recipe from The Make Your Own Subscriber Only Bonus Issue)
- mustard - 1 Tbsp, wholegrain
- vegetable stock - 60g, liquid
- Preheat oven to 160C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
Honey mustard glaze:
- Place sugar (100g), Worcestershire sauce (30g), mustard (1 Tbsp) and stock (60g) into the bowl. Program 6 minutes / 100C / Speed 2.
- Meanwhile, use a sharp knife to cut the majority of the rind off the ham piece (1/2 leg). If using a whole leg of ham, leave some rind on the shank of the leg.
- Using hands, and the knife if needed, lift the rind off the fat layer. Ensure a layer of fat remains for the cooking process.
- Using the knife, score a criss-cross pattern into the fat to form diamonds. This will need to be 1/2cm deep. Place ham onto the baking tray.
- Press a whole clove into the centre of each diamond.
- Baste the ham with 1/4 of the honey mustard glaze.
- Place tray into the oven and bake for 1 hour 20 minutes for half a leg of ham or approximately 1 hour 45 minutes for a full leg. Baste ham every 30 minutes or so with the glaze for maximum flavour.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving.