Brown Rice Salad
Herbs and rice and all things nice! This delicious salad has been shared with us by Alyce Alexandra. To keep it gluten free it uses tamari which is a type of soy sauce that is made from fermented soy beans. Good quality tamari contains no wheat, and has a richer but less salty flavour than regular soy sauce.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This is perfect to bring as a salad to a summer party. It's sure to get compliments! I can't wait to make it again. It's like the fancy salads you pay a fortune for in the supermarket. What I love about this recipe is it's not only a great staple that I will use all the time, but also it teaches me how to use my mixer." - Stacey
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 50 minutes
Serves 6-8 as a side
Cannot be frozen
- carrots - 2, peeled and cut into thirds
- fresh mint - handful, leaves only
- fresh coriander - handful, leaves only
- water - 1.2L
- brown rice - 300g, rinsed
- onion - 1/2, red, peeled
- ginger - 3cm piece, peeled
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- tamari - 100g
- honey - 40g, raw
- apple cider vinegar - 20g
- salt - to taste
- sunflower kernels - 50g
- pepitas - 50g, pumpkin seeds
- sesame oil - 40g, toasted
- celery - 3 sticks, thinly sliced
- capsicum - 1, red, diced
- sugar snap peas - 200g, ends trimmed
- avocado - 1, cubed
- Place carrots (2), mint (handful) and coriander (handful) in bowl. Chop Speed 6 / 1 second. Set aside.
- Fill bowl with water (1.2L) and place rice (300g) in internal steaming basket. Rinse well in running water before setting the basket in place. Program 35 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 3, measuring cap on. Set aside.
- In a dry bowl, place onion (1/2), ginger (3cm) and garlic clove (1). Chop Speed 6 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add tamari (100g), honey (40g), vinegar (20g) and salt to taste. Program 8 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Add sunflower kernels (50g) and pumpkin seeds (50g). Program 4 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the tamari-coated seeds with cooked rice, carrot, herbs, oil (40g), celery sticks (4), capsicum (1), sugar snap peas (200g) and avocado (1).
- Serve at room temperature.