Broccoli Mac and Cheese for a Crowd
A wonderful vegetarian twist on an old classic. It's not hard to see why this one is a crowd favourite! Nicely golden brown with a lovely coating of sauce over the pasta – and there's a whole head of broccoli in there too! For some extra greens, serve with a side salad.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “What an amazing flavour! Nearly enough to make me stop eating LCHF!" - Jan
No: Egg / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Dairy
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 40 minutes
Can be frozen
You will need:
3 small bowls
large casserole dish
- pasta - 500g, macaroni (*can use GF)
- broccoli - 1 small head, broken into florets
- cheddar cheese - 120g, or tasty cheese, grated
- Cheese sauce:
- butter - 100g
- plain flour - 100g (*can use GF)
- milk - 700g
- mustard - 15g, Dijon
- fresh thyme - 2 tsp, leaves
- dried onion flakes - 1 Tbsp
- garlic powder - 1 tsp
- cream cheese - 250g, softened and in chunks
- Parmesan cheese - 100g, grated
- feta cheese - 200g, crumbled
- Variations / Serving suggestions:
- salad of choice - to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Cook the macaroni (500g) according to packet directions in a large saucepan. Once cooked, drain and set aside in the saucepan.
- Add the broccoli florets (from 1 small head) to the bowl. Chop Speed 8 / 8 seconds. Set aside in a small bowl.
- If you need to grate your cheddar or tasty cheese, add cubed cheese (120g) to the bowl now. Grate Speed 7 / 5-10 seconds. Set aside in a small bowl.
- If you need to grate your Parmesan cheese, add cubed cheese (100g) to the bowl and grate Speed 7 / 5-10 seconds. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Add the butter (100g), plain flour (100g), milk (700g), Dijon mustard (15g), fresh thyme leaves (2 tsp), onion flakes (1 Tbsp) and garlic powder (1 tsp) to the bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Program 13 minutes / 90C / Speed 4, measuring cap on.
- Add the softened cream cheese chunks (250g), grated Parmesan cheese (100g) and the prepared broccoli to the bowl. Program 1 minute / Speed 4.
- Add the crumbled feta cheese (200g) into the bowl. Combine Reverse+Speed 3 / 10 seconds.
- Pour sauce over the drained pasta and mix to combine.
- Pour into a casserole dish, then top with the grated cheddar cheese (120g).
- Bake in the oven for about 25-35 minutes or until the cheese is golden.
- Remove from the oven and serve.