Broad Bean, Pea and Lemon Salad with Bocconcini
This yummy salad has been shared with us by Tenina from Cooking With Tenina. Salads are really a big part of how we eat in Australia. This recipe gives a different method that we think you will love. Use heaps of iced water in the biggest bowl you can muster in which to plunge the cooked veggies. This stops the cooking and preserves the beauty of the bright colours of the vegetables. Bring on the best extra virgin olive oil possible and a little flavoured salt of choice from your thermo mixer pantry - a great way to dine in style on any vegetables.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This dish is fresh, slightly crunchy and has a perfect combination of flavours. It's also so easy to make! The ingredients are really the hero here, so be sure to pick the best you can find. It would make a perfect side salad to bring to a dinner party or BBQ." - Shannah
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Dairy
Total Preparation Time 18 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- water - 1L, for steaming
- peas - 200g, frozen or fresh
- broad beans - 400g
- water - 2L, iced
- fresh basil - handful, leaves
- fresh mint - handful, leaves
- fresh parsley - handful, flat-leaf, leaves
- lemon - 1, juice only
- olive oil - 30g extra virgin, plus extra for drizzling
- fresh chives - 1/2 bunch, chopped
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- bocconcini - 8, baby, coarsely torn (*can omit for DF)
- Place water (1L) into mixer bowl and bring to a boil. Program 8 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Blanch peas (200g) and broad beans (400g) by placing them into the steaming attachment upper tray, setting the steaming attachment in place and programming 7 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Fill a large bowl with iced water (2L).
- Remove vegetables and plunge into iced water immediately. Skin broad beans if desired.
- Dry mixer bowl and place basil (handful), mint (handful) and parsley (handful) into bowl. Chop Speed 6 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add lemon juice (from 1 lemon), oil (30g) and chives (1/2 bunch). Add salt and pepper to taste. Combine Speed 4 / 3 seconds.
- Toss vegetables and dressing together with baby mozzarella (8), drizzle with oil and serve with crusty bread.