Brie and Leek Pastries
These super starters (or snack!) have been shared with us by Tenina Holder from Cooking with Tenina. The subtlety of the brie just pushes these from suburban to urban. Truly delicious as a snack, appetizer, or bulk them up as a main dish by serving alongside a hearty salad and some crusty bread.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Super easy to make, and a great way to start a meal or even as a party food. Will definitely be making these again. Maybe even for my next party." - Kirsty
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Egg
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 33-38 minutes
Can be frozen
- iced puff pastry - 4 sheets, ready rolled and cut into 4 equal pieces, make your own with the Iced Puff Pastry recipe from The Easter Subscriber Only Bonus Issue
- pecorino cheese - 100g, or Parmesan cheese, cubed
- peppercorns - 2-3
- leek - 1, cut into pieces
- butter - 50g
- milk - 250g
- eggs - 2
- salt flakes - pink, pinch
- cornflour - 30g
- Brie - slices, as needed
- egg - 1, beaten, to brush (*or milk for EF)
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line 2 trays with baking paper.
- Cut each sheet of pastry (4) in two pieces, one piece slightly wider than the other. Set aside.
- Place cheese (100g) and peppercorns (2-3) into the bowl. Mill Speed 10 / 10 seconds. Set aside.
- Place leek (1) and butter (50g) into the bowl. Chop Speed 6 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Program 5 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 1, measuring cap off.
- Add milk (250g), eggs (2), salt (pinch), cornstarch (30g) and prepared cheese to the bowl. Program 8 minutes / 80C / Speed 3. Remove from bowl and cool.
- Spread the béchamel evenly on the larger pieces of pastry. Top with slices of Brie.
- Place the other piece of pastry on top, then pull up the bottom piece and fold over, pinching the edge shut. Brush with beaten egg (1).
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden and fragrant.