- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Serving: Serves 04-06
Bread, Watermelon and Haloumi Salad
This beautifully balanced salad includes some of our favourite flavours. Summery watermelon, salty haloumi and fresh greens. It will be a welcome dish on your Christmas lunch table. You can have serve any leftovers the next day with some leftover ham in a wrap.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "I was pleasantly surprised by this salad. I wasn't sure about the watermelon, but it worked so well. The balance of sweet from the pomegranate and watermelon with the salty of the dressing, haloumi and olives was so tasty. I kept the bread and haloumi separate and added them on serving. It meant the bread was nice and crispy and I could leave the cheese off for my dairy intolerant children." - Danielle
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 5 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- pomegranate - 1, halved
- walnuts - 30g
- pomegranate molasses - 1 tsp (see Note)
- olive oil - 30g
- ciabatta - 6 thick slices (*can use GF or omit)
- watermelon - 600g, fresh
- salad - 150g, mixed leaf
- olives - 50g, black
- haloumi - 200g
- Quarter the pomegranate (1). Put two quarters into the bowl. Mix Reverse+Speed 4 / 1 second to release the the seeds from the skin. Remove the membrane. If you have any trouble doing this, add water to the mixer bowl and the membrane will float, allowing you to remove easily.
- Squeeze out the juice of the remaining quarters into the mixer bowl.
- Add the walnuts (30g), pomegranate molasses (1 tsp) and oil (30g) to the bowl. Combine Speed 2 / 10 seconds. Pour into a large salad bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 220C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the ciabatta slices (6) on the tray. Toast in the oven for 5 minutes until crispy. Cut into thick dice and set aside. Leave the bread separate until serving.
- Cut the watermelon (600g) into thick cubes and add to the salad bowl. Add the mixed leaf salad (150g) and olives (50g).
- Slice the haloumi (200g) into thick slices and fry in a hot frying pan for a couple of minutes until browned and soft.
- Transfer into the salad bowl. Toss everything well and serve immediately with the bread on top.
Note: Pomegranate molasses adds a wonderful flavour boost, but if you can't find any, replace with a balsamic vinegar reduction.