Body Massage Bars
This recipe has been shared with us by Bee from Tick of Yum, out of her Scents and Centsability book. Body bars are a solid, deeply moisturising block, of any size, that will start to soften with your body heat. The softened cream can then be rubbed on the skin for an extra soothing moisturising effect. Large blocks can be used for the whole body or an extra groovy gift. Smaller ones are also good for the whole body but are best for the hands. Chocolate moulds are great to make the smaller bars, and cupcake moulds for the larger ones. Present them like chocolates in coloured patty pans or paper. Make sure you put "do not eat" on them because they'll look so yummy people might not be able to resist!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "I loved how these just melted away while using them! A gorgeous feeling!" - Sarah
Total Preparation Time 25 minutes + 1 hour setting (if set in fridge / freezer)
Makes 20-30 small bars
- beeswax - 20g
- shea butter - 1 tsp, can use lanolin or cocoa butter if you prefer
- coconut oil - 50g, or cocoa butter or shea butter
- grapeseed oil - 35g
- avocado oil - 25g
- essential oil - 5-10 drops, optional
- Check out the notes on making your own beauty products.
- Lay a sheet of plastic wrap or foil under the moulds to make cleaning up later a breeze.
- Get your moulds ready - you will have to pour quickly when the mixture has finished cooking.
- Place all beeswax (20g), shea butter (1 tsp), coconut oil (50g), grape seed oil (35g) and avocado oil (25g) into your sterilised bowl and program 8 minutes / 80C / Speed 1.
- As soon as the mixture has finished, add the essential oil (5-10 drops). Mix Speed 1 / 20 seconds.
- If you have used real beeswax (as opposed to the little pellets you can buy), lift the bowl from the cradle and tip it slightly and wait a few seconds - this will allow any impurities to settle on the bottom and it won't be poured out as well. Note: either form of wax works the same, the first will probably be cheaper but may have little bits of honey and "bits" in it.
- VERY carefully, but as fast as you can, start to pour the warm mixture into the moulds.
- Either leave them to set for 4-5 hours or pop the moulds in the fridge or freezer for about an hour.
- After they are thoroughly set, pop them out of moulds.
- Store in the fridge.
To use: Hold the body bar in your hand until it warms and then rub in your hand a bit. Set bar aside and rub the melted portion all over your hands or body.