Big Pot of Beef
Whilst you might think that red meat and eating on a budget don’t go hand in hand, if you get the right cut of meat you can really make it go the distance. Cheaper cuts of meat (like a gravy beef) are perfect for this recipe. It really goes a long way (so it’s perfect for big families and left overs!) AND you can use up leftover vegetables. The sauce is absolutely delicious so serving with some rice, pasta or a big chunk of bread to soak it up will not only make it go further, but will also be very yummy. But of course, for a grain free version, just serve as is.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Super quick & easy to prepare. Pop it in the oven and let the magic happen. Gelatinous fall-apart meat. A great wholesome recipe. Very easy to adapt by adding other flavours that your family enjoy." - Kristi
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 3 hours
Serves 10 or 20 if served with rice
Can be frozen
- salt - 2 tsp, rock
- peppercorns - 1/2 tsp
- paprika - 2-3 tsp
- onion powder - 4 tsp
- garlic granules - 2 tsp
- cayenne pepper - pinch, optional
- onions - 2, peeled and halved
- oil - 15g
- tinned tomatoes - 400g, diced
- coconut milk - 400ml, from the 'Make Your Own' Bonus
- diced beef - 2kg, gravy beef is perfect for this dish
- vegetables of choice - 1kg, chopped, we used pumpkin and cauliflower. To add to the thickness of the sauce, include some pumpkin or sweet potato in your vegetables.
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Add salt (2 tsp), peppercorns (1/2 tsp), paprika (2-3 tsp), onion powder (4 tsp), garlic granules (2 tsp) and cayenne (pinch, optional) to the bowl. Combine Speed 8 / 10 seconds.
- Add onions (2) to the bowl. Chop Speed 5-6 / 2 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add oil (15g) to the bowl. Program 6 minutes / 110C* / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Add tomato (400g tin) and coconut milk (400mL) to the bowl. Program 3 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Add your beef (2kg) to the casserole dish.
- Pour sauce over the top and stir through. Cover with a fitted lid and transfer to the oven for two hours.
- Remove the dish from the oven, carefully remove the lid and stir vegetables through so that they are all covered with sauce.
- Return to the oven with the lid off for 30 minutes.
- Remove the dish, stir, and return to the oven for 30 minutes.
- Can be served on it’s own, or with rice, pasta, bread or vegetables.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.