Big Batch Lamb Ragu
This is one to keep in the freezer for the nights when you just need a quick meal. Serve over pasta, on baked sweet potatoes or in place of your usual Bolognese sauce in lasagne.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “A winning recipe that also saves you time, as you will have leftovers for two more meals!" - Liz
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 50 minutes
Cooking Time 35 minutes
Can be frozen
You will need:
steaming attachment lower dish
large serving bowl
- pasta - 500g, cooked fettuccine, to serve (*can use GF)
- onion - 3, large, peeled and quartered
- garlic cloves - 4, peeled
- carrot - 4, large, roughly chopped
- bacon - 100g
- celery - 5 stalks, finely diced
- olive oil - 30g
- lamb mince - 1.2kg
- red wine - 100g, dry
- tinned tomatoes - 800g, whole
- vegetable stock - 25g, paste
- tomato paste - 50g
- fresh thyme - 1 Tbsp, leaves
- Variations / Serving suggestions:
- sweet potato - baked, to replace pasta
- Add the peeled and quartered onions (3), peeled garlic cloves (4), chopped carrots (4) and bacon (100g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 5-6 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the diced celery stalks (5) and olive oil (30g) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Stirring Speed, measuring cap off.
- Add the lamb mince (1.2kg) to the steaming attachment lower dish. Rough up the mince with your spatula. Set the steaming attachment in place. Program 6 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Take the lid off the steaming attachment. Rough the mince up again.
- Set the mixer's scales and pour the red wine (100g) over the mince. Replace lid. Program 6 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Take the steaming attachment lid off and place it upside down on the bench next to your mixer. Lift the steaming attachment off of your mixer and place on top of the steaming attachment lid.
- Push any remnants sitting on the lid of your mixer back into the bowl. Add the whole tomatoes (800g tin), stock paste (25g), tomato paste (50g) and fresh thyme leaves (1 Tbsp) through the hole in the lid. Rough up the mince again.
- Lift up the steaming attachment and set it back in place on your mixer. Tip any juices / liquid now on the steaming attachment lid into the sink. Put the lid back onto the steaming attachment. Program 18 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Move the mince into a large serving bowl and add the sauce. Mix to combine. Cover and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve ragu over fettuccine (500g).
Make your own!
* Make your own stock paste with the Odds and Ends Stock Paste recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue.
* Make your own tomato paste with the Pizza Sauce / Tomato Paste recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue.