Best Ever Chocolate Crackles
This favoured childhood treat is back and better than ever! These are perfect for entertaining young and old alike, and they are best made ahead of time. The only question is... will there be any left by the time the party starts? For a fun addition, try mini marshmallows!
Recipe Tester Feedback: “Very quick and easy to make – the kids were thrilled when they could taste test these!" - Anita
No: Egg / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Dairy
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten / Dairy
Preparation Time 20 minutes + 2 hours chilling time
Cooking Time 5 minutes
Can be frozen
You will need:
24 hole mini muffin tin
small frying pan or baking tray
- desiccated coconut - 40g
- chocolate - 200g, dark, broken up into small pieces (*ensure DF if required)
- coconut oil - 80g
- puffed rice - 80g, cereal (e.g., Rice Bubbles™) or 60g GF puffed rice (from a health food store)
- salt - pinch
- Line a 24 hole mini muffin tin with paper cases.
- In a dry frying pan over a medium heat, toast the desiccated coconut (40g) until lightly golden and fragrant. Alternatively, spread the coconut out on a baking tray and set it inside a cold oven. Set to 200C and remove after 10 minutes or when it becomes fragrant.
- To the clean, completely dry mixer bowl, add the dark chocolate pieces (200g). Grate Speed 8 / 8 seconds. Scrape down sides if necessary.
- Add the coconut oil (80g) to the bowl. Program 6 minutes / 60C / Speed 2.5, or until completely melted and glossy.
- Add the puffed rice cereal (80g, or less of the GF puffed rice), toasted desiccated coconut (40g) and salt (pinch) to the bowl. Combine Reverse+Speed 2.5 / 10 seconds, until all coated. Use your spatula to assist if necessary.
- Spoon the mixture into each paper case.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours to set.