Beetroot Feta Tart
This tart is so simple to prepare and if you have a gathering coming up, it can be a great party snack. It has been shared with us by Sophia Handschuh, the Thermomix Baking Blogger. The colours make it irresistible! For a gluten free version, use the Grain Free Tart Shell recipe for the base.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "I loved the flavours of this tart. I don't usually like beetroot, but this was absolutely delicious!" - Claire
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 45 minutes
Cooking Time 35 minutes
Can be frozen
- Shortcrust pastry:
- water - 60g
- plain flour - 225g, plus extra for dusting
- baking powder - 1 tsp
- salt - 1 tsp
- butter - 60g
- egg - 1, yolk only
- Beetroot feta tart:
- beetroot - 400g, raw, washed and peeled
- onion - 1, peeled and quartered
- fresh thyme - 2 sprigs, leaves only
- olive oil - 20g
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- balsamic vinegar - 10g
- brown sugar - 10g
- baby spinach - 30g
- eggs - 2
- double cream - 200g
- feta cheese - 150g
- Ensure you have water (60g) weighed in a small bowl and set aside.
- For the pastry place the flour (225g), baking powder (1 tsp), salt (1 tsp), butter (60g) and egg yolk (1) in the mixer bowl. Program 2 minutes / Closed Lid / Kneading Function. While kneading, add water (60g) in a thin stream until the mixture resembles a dough. You may not need all the water.
- Remove from the bowl and form into a ball. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes.
- For the filling chop the beetroot (400g) into large chunks. Place in the bowl. Blitz Speed 5 / 2 seconds. Set aside in a small bowl until later.
- Rinse the mixer bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Place the onion (1), thyme leaves (from 2 sprigs), oil (20g), salt (1/2 tsp), balsamic vinegar (10g) and brown sugar (10g) in the bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 3 seconds.
- Program 5 minutes / 100C / Stirring Speed, measuring cap off.
- Add the baby spinach (30g). Stir Reverse+Speed 2 / 30 seconds. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Clean the mixing bowl.
- To make the tart shell, remove the dough from the fridge and place on a floured surface. Roll out to a large circle and line the 27cm tart dish. Prick with a fork.
- Line with a piece of baking paper and fill with ceramic pie weights or similar. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking paper and the pie weights from the tart, return to the oven to bake for a further 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the eggs (2) and cream (200g) in the mixer bowl. Combine Speed 3 / 20 seconds. Remove and set aside in a small bowl.
- To assemble the tart, first scatter the onion-spinach mixture in the tart dish, then sprinkle over the beetroot, pour in the cream-egg mixture and finish off by crumbling the feta (150g) on top.
- Bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes. Then remove, place on a wire cooling rack or serve hot immediately. Enjoy!