Beetroot, Feta and Grain Salad
A light summer side dish that can double as the main event! The feta and beetroot combine to give a gorgeous flavour. We used quinoa, barley and red rice for this recipe, as we love the combination. But you can use any of your favourite grains. Serve with the Lamb Kebabs for a well-rounded meal.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "I love beetroot! The steaming kept the flavour intense and the color very vibrant. The citrus dressing goes well with the grains, feta and beetroot (I love beetroot!) We had our salad as a very generous side dish and gave it the thumbs up. Did I mention I love beetroot?" - Jeroen
No: Egg / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Dairy
*Variation: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour 30 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- beetroot - 400g, raw, peeled and left whole
- water - 3.2L
- quinoa - 50g
- barley - 50g (*or an alternative GF option)
- red rice - 50g, or similar
- salad - 220g, mixed leaf
- feta cheese - 100g
- orange - 1, juice only
- honey - 20g
- apple cider vinegar - 40g
- olive oil - 10g
- sea salt - 1/2 tsp, flakes
- pepper - 1/2 tsp, black
- Place the beetroot (400g) in the internal steaming basket. Fill the bowl with the water (1L only) and set the basket in place. Program 45 minutes / 100C / Speed 1, measuring cap on. Remove the beetroot and set aside to cool.
- Place the quinoa (50g), barley (50g) and rice (50g) in the internal steaming basket. Add water (1.2L only) to the bowl. Program 35-40 minutes / 100C / Speed 3, measuring cap on. The cooking time depends on how big the grains are. Check whether they are all cooked, then remove the internal steaming basket and set aside.
- Pour the grains out onto a baking tray lined with a paper towel to cool and dry.
- Chop the beetroot into large chunks and place in a salad bowl. Add the cooked grains, mixed leaf salad (220g) and feta (100g) crumbled on top.
- Add the orange juice (from 1 orange), honey (20g), vinegar (40g), oil (10g), salt (1/2 tsp) and pepper (1/2 tsp) to the bowl. Emulsify Speed 4 / 20 seconds.
- Pour over the salad, toss and serve.