Beer Battered Onion Rings
For an awesome accompaniment to your burger that tastes delicious but takes no time at all, try these! This batter is super tasty and complements the red onion beautifully.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "An easy, simple batter that cooks up golden brown and tastes delicious." - Heidi
No: Dairy / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 5-15 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- beer - 200g (*can use GF)
- self raising flour - 200g (*can use GF)
- salt flakes - 1 tsp
- garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- pepper - 1/4 tsp, black, ground
- eggs - 2
- onions - 3-4, large, red, peeled and washed
- rice bran oil - for frying
- Weigh the beer (200g) into a jug and set aside.
- Insert the whisk attachment. Add the self raising flour (200g), salt (1 tsp), garlic powder (1/2 tsp), pepper (1/4 tsp) and eggs (2) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 6 seconds.
- Program 1 minute / Speed 4. Slowly add the beer (200g) through the lid while the blades are turning. It should take the full minute to pour the beer.
- Chop the red onions (3-4) into slices.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan (you want the oil really hot, but not so hot that it smokes). If you have a deep fryer, you can also use that.
- Dip the onion rings into your batter. Carefully lower them into the hot oil.
- Cook until the onion rings are golden. Time will vary based on the size of your rings.
- Test the end result and season with salt and pepper as desired.