Beer Baked Chicken
Beer and chicken go so well together. This super tasty roast chicken can either be prepared using a whole chicken or chicken thighs and drumsticks. Ask your local farmer's market butcher what they have and which would be best. In terms of the marinade, it is best to marinate the chicken overnight before baking in the oven. It helps the flavours develop. If you cannot get Guinness® or dark ale, or you want this dish to be gluten free, you can use ginger beer or cola instead.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "The key to knowing this was a great dish was my husband commenting how yum it was! That never happens! This recipe packs a flavour punch! So easy to make and so darn delicious! Will definitely be making again." - Belinda
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 10 minutes + at least 4 hours marinating time
Cooking Time 50 minutes (or 1 hour 20 minutes for whole chicken)
Can be frozen
- chicken drumsticks - 8, and thighs, or 1 whole chicken
- Dry rub:
- salt - 2 tsp, sea
- paprika - 2 tsp
- onion powder - 1 tsp
- dried thyme - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1 tsp, black
- cayenne pepper - 1/2 tsp
- garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Sticky sauce:
- garlic cloves - 3, peeled
- beer - 200g, Guinness, or dark ale (*use ginger beer or cola for GF)
- tomato sauce - 200g
- brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- honey - 50g, or maple syrup
- balsamic vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- mustard - 2 tsp, Dijon
- paprika - 2 tsp
- Place the chicken pieces (8) in an ovenproof roasting pan lined with baking paper.
- Place the salt (2 tsp), paprika (2 tsp), onion powder (1 tsp), thyme (1 tsp), black pepper (1 tsp), cayenne pepper (1/2 tsp) and garlic powder (1/2 tsp) in a small bowl. Mix gently with a spoon.
- Pour over the chicken and rub in well. Cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Once hot, uncover the roasting tray and bake the chicken for 30 minutes (if you are using a whole chicken, bake for 1 hour at 180C).
- Meanwhile, place the garlic cloves (3) in the mixer bowl. Blitz Speed 5 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the Guinness (200g), tomato sauce (200g), brown sugar (1 Tbsp), honey (50g), vinegar (1 Tbsp), mustard (2 tsp) and paprika (2 tsp) to the bowl. Program 20 minutes / 100C / Speed 1, measuring cap off. Use the internal steaming basket as a cover to avoid any splatters.
- Spread half of the sauce over the chicken and return to the oven for a further 20 minutes. You can do another brush of the sauce after 10 minutes if you like it very sticky. Serve immediately with the remaining sauce for dipping and some coleslaw.