Beef Skewers with Tahini Cashew Dressing
A scrumptious and kid friendly recipe from the very talented Shanai from Kids Eat by Shanai. This is the perfect weeknight meal for the whole family! Team it up with the suggested salad or some steamed veggies for a complete meal.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “A yummy and healthy sauce that makes skewers taste delish!" - Heidi
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 25 minutes
Skewers can be frozen before or after cooking
- sirloin steak - 2, large, beef, cut into large cubes (or similar cut like porterhouse)
- water - 900g, hot tap
- white rice - 150g, basmati
- olive oil - 15g, optional
- broccoli - 1/2 head, broken into florets
- cashew nuts - 75g, raw
- tahini paste - 140g
- soy sauce - 60g (*ensure GF if required)
- chicken stock - 125g, liquid
- honey - 50g
- cucumber - chopped
- avocado - peeled and diced
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- Place the raw cashews (75g) in a dry frying pan over medium high heat. Toast gently until slightly browned.
- Place the toasted cashews into the mixer bowl. Blitz Speed 10 / 10 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the tahini (140g), soy sauce (60g), chicken stock (125g) and honey (50g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 7 / 10 seconds. Remove the sauce from the bowl and set aside.
- Season the steak cubes (from 2 steaks) with salt and pepper, then thread each cube onto a soaked wooden skewer.
- Add hot tap water (900g) into the unwashed bowl. Set the internal steaming basket in place.
- To the basket, add the rice (150g), salt (pinch) and olive oil (15g, optional) to the bowl. Program 13 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 4, measuring cap on. Continue on with the recipe while the rice is cooking.
- Grill the meat skewers on the BBQ or in a frying pan over medium high heat until cooked to your liking.
- Briefly blanch the broccoli florets (from 1/2 head) in boiling water.
- Combine the lettuce, chopped cucumber, diced avocado, olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a large salad bowl.
- Serve skewers drizzled in sauce on a bed of rice with salad and broccoli on the side.
Make your own!
*Make your own tahini paste with the Tahini Paste recipe from The Tea Party Issue.