Beef and Bean Chilli
This is a chilli that really goes the distance! Fantastic for lovers of spice and bulked out with the use of beans. Two delicious serving suggestions include: casserole-style with rice or Mexican-style as the meat component of nachos, burritos or fajitas.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “A spicy, deeply flavoured dish that will feed a crowd. Served with rice, sour cream and cheese – it was a big winner at our table." - Lauren
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 6-8 hours
Can be frozen
You will need:
mixing bowl, optional
- Spice rub:
- chilli powder - 2 tsp
- cumin - 2 tsp, ground
- dried oregano - 1 tsp
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- sugar - 1/2 tsp
- dried coriander - 1/2 tsp, ground
- beef brisket - 2kg, or beef blade roast
- chilli - 5, long, dried, or less to taste
- water - 250g, boiling
- lime - 1, juice only
- apple cider vinegar - 20g
- tomato paste - 70g
- tinned tomatoes - 400g, diced
- capsicum - 1, red, sliced
- red kidney beans - 400g tin, drained and rinsed
- black beans - 400g tin, drained and rinsed
- Serving options:
- rice - cooked, to serve
- sour cream - omit for DF
- cheese - grated (*omit for DF)
- Add the chilli powder (2 tsp), ground cumin (2 tsp), dried oregano (1 tsp), salt (1/2 tsp), sugar (1 tsp) and ground coriander (1/2 tsp) to the bowl. Blitz Speed 10 / 5 seconds.
- Add the beef blade roast (2kg) to the slow cooker before rubbing the spice rub all over the beef. Set to cook on Low for 6-8 hours. While the beef begins to cook, you can continue with the next steps.
- Soak the long dried chillies (5) in boiling water (250g) for 20 minutes.
- Add the soaked chillies and liquid, lime juice (from 1 lime), apple cider vinegar (20g) and tomato paste (70g) to the bowl. Blend Speed 8 / 30 seconds, measuring cap on.
- Add the diced tomatoes (400g tin) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 10 seconds.
- Pour the sauce over the beef and continue to cook in the slow cooker.
- When there are 30 minutes left, take the beef shoulder out of the slow cooker, leaving the sauce inside.
- Place the sliced capsicum (1), rinsed kidney beans (400g tin) and rinsed black beans (400g tin) into the slow cooker. Turn the heat to High. Cook for 20-30 minutes in the slow cooker. Continue with the next step.
- Cut the shoulder into 4-6 pieces and place pieces into the mixer bowl until it is half full. Shred Speed 4 / 1 second. Set aside. Repeat with any remaining pieces.
- Once the cooking time for the capsicum and bean mixture is up, mix it through the shredded beef.
- Serve with rice.