Bec’s Best Carrot Cake
It is with great joy I bring you one of my favourite recipes that I have been making for YEARS… A recipe that would take me HOURS of cooking, because I grated all the carrot by hand. It is a BIG cake… it can be completely gluten free and dairy free… and it is delicious! It has what I believe to be all the best things in a carrot cake… carrot, pineapple, walnuts and cinnamon. I have to be honest, I think you’re going to love it too. You can of course do a traditional cream cheese icing, or even leave the cake plain, but I have converted a recipe which will allow you to have an icing while keeping the cake dairy-free. Thanks to Donna from Cafe Disarray for this one. - Bec
This recipe was featured in Episode 53 of the podcast – Bec’s Best Birthday Thermomix Cake Recipes.
Reader feedback: “I have made this cake many times! It’s always delicious!” - Angela
No: Gluten / Dairy
Contains: Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time approx. 1 hour
- carrot - 450g, cut in to chunks
- eggs - 4
- brown sugar - 250g
- olive oil - 130g
- golden syrup - 100g
- plain flour - 250g, gluten free
- bicarb soda - 1 tsp
- baking powder - 1.5 tsp
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- pineapple - 120g tin, crushed, drained
- walnuts - 70g, roughly chopped (*can omit for NF version)
- lemon - 1/2, peel only
- raw sugar - 250g
- dairy free spread - 50g
- pineapple - 2 tsp, crushed
- vanilla - 1 tsp, extract
- walnuts - broken up / chopped roughly (*can omit for NF version)
- Preheat oven to 160C and line square cake tin with baking paper.
- Grate carrots (450g), Speed 5-6 / 8 seconds (remove any big pieces remaining). Set aside.
- Add eggs (4) and brown sugar (250g). Speed 5 / 20 seconds.
- Add olive oil (130g) and golden syrup (100g). Speed 5 / 10 seconds.
- Add flour (250g), bicarb soda (1 tsp), baking powder (1.5 tsp) and ground cinnamon (1/2 tsp). Speed 5 / 10 seconds, push down sides, repeat Speed 5 / 10 seconds.
- Add grated carrot, tin of drained pineapple (120g), walnuts (70g). Reverse+Speed 4 / 10 seconds.
- Pour into the prepared tin.
- Cook for 45-60 minutes. Top should be golden, and skewer should come out clean. Allow to cool before icing.
- Add lemon (1/2) to the bowl. Speed 7 / 20 seconds. Scrape down bowl.
- Add sugar (250g). Speed 10 / 10 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add non-dairy spread (50g). Speed 7 / 20 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add crushed pineapple (2 tsp), vanilla (1 tsp). Speed 7 /10 seconds.
- Insert whisk attachment. Program 3 minutes / Speed 3.
- Refrigerate until required.
- Decorate with walnuts.