BBQ Pork Belly Skewers
These super easy and delicous skewers have been shared with us by Karla D'Lima from My LaLa Life. They make an awesome summer barbecue recipe. Make ahead of time to marinate and then cook over coals. Watch the succulent pork turn into dark, glazed morsels that will have your friends asking for more!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Delicious and very easy to make. Great that it can be made ahead of time and cooks quickly." - Lou
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Total Preparation Time 25 minutes + marinating time
Makes approx. 18 skewers
Meat can be frozen pre or post cooking
- pork belly - 1kg, in 2cm cubes
- onion - 1
- garlic cloves - 7
- tamari - 250g
- calamansi juice - 60g, or lemon juice, see Note
- pepper - 1 tsp, black, ground
- raw sugar - 60g
- tomato sauce - 125g, or banana ketchup for authenticity
- lemonade - 125g
- Place cubed pork belly into your marinating container and set aside.
- Place onion (1) and garlic (7) in your machine's bowl and chop Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add tamari (250g), calamansi (60g), pepper (1 tsp), raw sugar (60g), ketchup (125g) and lemonade (125g) to the bowl and mix Speed 4 / 10 seconds.
- Pour marinade over pork belly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, turning occasionally. The lemonade in the marinade acts as a tenderiser and adds flavour to the pork; the longer the pork is marinated, the more flavoursome it will be.
- Thread pork onto pre-soaked bamboo skewers. Do not throw out the marinade.
- Cook the skewers over live coal, turning and basting with the reserved marinade every few minutes until cooked through (this should take approximately 10 minutes).
- Serve and enjoy immediately.
Note: Calamansi is a Filipino lime which, along with banana ketchup, can be found at selected Asian grocers. Otherwise, lemon juice and tomato ketchup are adequate substitutes.