BBQ Mushroom Burgers
This is a delicious burger option for our vegetarian friends, but we think the meat lovers will love it just as much. A deliciously different way to enjoy mushrooms this summer. Team these up with a crusty bread roll, lots of crisp lettuce leaves, pesto, grilled onions and tomato slices for the ultimate vegetarian burgers.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This was a very tasty and light meal. Great for a change and terrific for those who are vegetarian." - Claire
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
Preparation Time 8-10 minutes + 4 hours marinating time
Cooking Time 8-10 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- mushrooms - 6 large, portobello, stem removed
- bread - 6, rolls* (*ensure GF if required)
- pesto - (*ensure DF and NF if required)
- tomato - slices
- onions - grilled
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- fresh thyme - 2 Tbsp, leaves
- fresh rosemary - 2 Tbsp, leaves
- fresh parsley - 2 Tbsp
- olive oil - 50g
- lemon juice - 25g
- Add the peeled garlic cloves (2), thyme leaves (2 Tbsp), rosemary leaves (2 Tbsp), fresh parsley (2 Tbsp), olive oil (50g) and lemon juice (25g) to the bowl. Chop Speed 8 / 10 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Mix again Speed 8 / 5 seconds.
- Spoon the mixture over the prepared mushrooms (6) and allow to marinate for 4 hours.
- Fire up the BBQ. Grill the mushrooms over medium to high heat for 4 minutes on each side so that they are softened. You may like to grill some onions for serving at the same time.
- Spread the bread rolls (6) with pesto, then top with lettuce, tomato slices, grilled onions and a BBQ mushroom.
Make your own!
* Make your own bread rolls with the Multiseed Bread Rolls from The Freezer Issue, Bread Rolls from The On the Road Issue or LCHF Bread Rolls (GF) from The Packed Lunch Issue.
* Make your own pesto with the Chilli Lime Pesto from this issue, Chunky Red Pesto Dip from The Picnic Issue, Cauliflower Chilli Pesto (NF) from The Thrifty Issue, Kale and Spinach Pesto Dip (DF) from The Fast Issue or Pesto from The 5 Ingredients Issue.