Basilico Pasta Sauce
This is a recipe you will make time and time again, and it is so great to have on hand in the freezer for those nights when you just don't want to cook a full meal from scratch. Stir this through some cooked pasta or use it to make a delicious Bolognese.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “This recipe will be a staple in our house from now on – no more jarred pasta sauce for us. It was devoured by young and old." - Renee
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 31 minutes
Serves 6 when served with cooked pasta
Can be frozen
You will need:
internal steaming basket
- onion - 2, large, brown, peeled and quartered
- garlic cloves - 5, peeled
- olive oil - 30g
- tomato - 1kg, ripe, Roma, diced
- tomato paste - 50g
- white wine - 120g, dry, or red wine
- dried basil - 1 Tbsp
- salt - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1 tsp, cracked, black
- sugar - 2 tsp, optional, to counteract the acid in the tomatoes
- fresh basil - 1/2 small bunch, leaves only, shredded
- pasta - cooked, to serve, *ensure GF if required
- Add the peeled and quartered onions (2) and peeled garlic cloves (5) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the olive oil (30g) to the bowl. Program 6 minutes / 110C* / Speed 2, measuring cap off.
- Add the diced tomatoes (1kg), tomato paste (50g), dry wine (120g), dried basil (1 Tbsp), salt (1 tsp), cracked black pepper (1 tsp) and sugar (2 tsp, if using) to the bowl. Program 25 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2. Place the internal steaming basket on top of the lid to prevent spatters.
- Add the fresh shredded basil leaves (from 1/2 small bunch) to the bowl. Gradually increase the speed to Speed 5 / 5 seconds. Please read your machine’s user manual for the correct method of safely blending hot liquids as each machine varies. Scrape down sides.
- Mix Speed 2 / 2 seconds.
- Serve over cooked pasta of choice.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.
Make your own!
* Make your own tomato paste with the Pizza Sauce / Tomato Paste recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue.