Bare Essentials Soup
It doesn't get more budget-friendly than this soup. As you can see from the ingredients, it is extremely versatile and you can use what you have! This is great to use up the last of the veggies in the pantry and fridge. I highly recommend always having a bag of red lentils in the pantry to bulk out soups or other dishes like spaghetti bolognese for next to nothing. - Peta
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 25 minutes
Can be frozen
- onion - 1, large, peeled and roughly chopped
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- oil - 15g, or butter
- vegetables of choice - 500g, roughly chopped, see notes
- beef stock - 1000g, chicken or vegetable liquid stock
- lentils - 120g, dried, red, rinsed well
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- Place onion (1) and garlic (2) into bowl. Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Scrape down.
- Add oil (15g).
- Program 5 minutes / 110C* / Speed 2.
- Add vegetables (500g) to bowl. Speed 7 / 6 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add stock (1000g) but do not fill past the fill line, and lentils (120g) to bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Program 25 minutes / 100C / Speed 2. Place steaming attachment lower dish on top of the lid to prevent splatter.
- Once cooked, place machine measuring cup in place. Gradually increase speed of blades to Speed 7 for 20 seconds, measuring cap on to blend the soup. Please see your machine user manual for safe blending instructions of hot liquids specific to your machine.
- Serve with Zucchini Drop Scones
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.
Note: The types of veggies you use will determine how thick or thin your soup will be.