Baked Cheese and Spinach Rolls
Store-bought cheese and spinach pastries are often expensive party food options that contain very little filling. We put a slightly different spin on these and have created these tasty cheese and spinach rolls that you can make yourself!
Recipe Tester Feedback: “The end product tasted really nice! A cheesy filling with a nice crispy shell. Also, so quick to make!" - Aoife
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 5-10 minutes
Cooking Time 30 minutes
Makes 18 rolls
Can be frozen
- puff pastry - 3 sheets
- onion - 1, small, peeled and quartered
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- oil - 15g
- nutmeg - 1/2 tsp
- pepper - 1 tsp, cracked, black
- ricotta cheese - 100g
- feta cheese - 100g, crumbled
- Parmesan cheese - 100g, grated
- baby spinach - 120g, leaves, shredded
- egg - 1, small
- egg - 1, lightly beaten
- nigella seeds - or sesame seeds, to top
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Set the puff pastry sheets (3) out on the bench to thaw.
- If you need to grate your Parmesan cheese, add cubed cheese (100g) to the bowl and grate Speed 7 / 5-10 seconds. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Add the peeled and quartered onion (1) and peeled garlic cloves (2) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds.
- Add the oil (15g) to the bowl. Program 6 minutes / 100C / Speed 2.
- Add the nutmeg (1/2 tsp), pepper (1 tsp), ricotta cheese (100g), crumbled feta cheese (100g), grated Parmesan cheese (100g), shredded spinach leaves (120g) and egg (1 only) to the bowl. Mix Reverse+Speed 3 / 4 seconds. Scrape down sides. Repeat if not yet combined.
- Divide the filling evenly between the 3 puff pastry sheets, placing the mixture along one long edge of the pastry. Roll pastry tightly, enclosing the filling. Cut each roll evenly into 6 sausage rolls.
- Brush the rolls with a lightly beaten egg (1) and sprinkle with nigella or sesame seeds.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Make your own!
*Make your own puff pastry with the Homemade Puff Pastry recipe from this issue, the Rough Puff Pastry recipe from The Freezer Issue or the Iced Puff Pastry recipe from The Easter Bonus Issue.
*Make your own ricotta with the Ricotta Cheese recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue.