Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf with Smokey BBQ Sauce
This paleo meatloaf was created by Nikalene Riddle from Skinnymixers. It had been on her "to create" list for years. Delicious AND healthy, many "meatloaf hating" hubbies have been converted with this one, and the kids love it too!
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Dairy
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 50 minutes
Can be frozen
- fresh parsley - small, handful
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- carrot - 100g, or zucchini, roughly chopped
- onion - 1, small, halved and peeled
- beef mince - 500g (or preferred minced meat)
- eggs - 2
- psyllium husks - 10g
- salt flakes - 1 Tbsp
- pepper - 1/4 tsp, cracked
- paprika - 1 tsp, smoked
- bacon - 10 rashers (we used streaky bacon)
- water - 600g
- oil - 2 Tbsp, preferred frying
- Smokey BBQ sauce:
- coconut sugar - 30g
- butter - 30g (*use coconut oil for DF)
- tomato sauce - 120g (make your own Tomato Sauce from the recipe in The Make Your Own Subscriber Only Bonus Issue)
- tamari - 10g, coconut aminos or Worcestershire sauce (*use tamari or coconut aminos for GF; make your own Worcestershire Sauce from the recipe in The Make Your Own Subscriber Only Bonus Issue)
- apple cider vinegar - 10g
- coffee - 1 tsp, instant, granules
- lemon juice - 10g
- water - 90g
- paprika - 1 tsp, smoked
- Add parsley (small handful) and garlic cloves (2) to the bowl. Blitz Speed 9 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add carrot (100g) and onion (1) to the bowl. Chop Speed 6 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add mince (500g), eggs (2), psyllium husks (10g), salt flakes (1 Tbsp), pepper (1/4 tsp) and smoked paprika (1 tsp). Mix Closed Lid / Turbo / 5 x 1 second blasts to roughly combine.
- Move meatloaf mixture to a silicone mat or large piece of aluminium foil and shape into a rounded meatloaf shape.
- Wrap bacon (10 rashers) around the meatloaf and secure in place with toothpicks.
- Transfer meatloaf to steaming attachment lower dish. It's okay if it bends up the sides.
- Add water (600g) to the mixer bowl. Program 45 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2. In the last 20 minutes of steaming time, feel free to add vegetables around the meatloaf to cook and serve.
- With 5 minutes remaining, heat preferred oil (2 Tbsp) in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Transfer meatloaf to frying pan and brown on all sides.
- While the meatloaf is browning, prepare smokey BBQ sauce with a clean bowl.
Smokey BBQ sauce:
- To make sauce, add coconut sugar (30g), butter (30g), tomato sauce (120g), tamari (10g), vinegar (10g), coffee (1 tsp), lemon (10g), water (90g), and paprika (1 tsp) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2, measuring cap off.
- Remove toothpicks and serve meatloaf with steamed vegetables or salad and smokey BBQ sauce drizzled over the top.