Bacon, Egg and Gruyère Breakfast Tart
A delicious tart to serve warm or cold for brunch. It could also make for a really yummy lunch or dinner option when teamed up with salad. We really love versatile meals here at The 4 Blades, and this is definitely one of them! The cherry tomatoes around the edge gives a gorgeous pop of flavour AND sweetness.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “This tart was very tasty, and the cheese gave it a lovely flavour. The teenagers have claimed the leftovers as their lunch for the next day!" - Anita
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 10 minutes + 15 minutes chilling time
Cooking Time 30-40 minutes
Can be frozen
You will need:
26cm tart dish
ceramic pie weights or dry beans
- plain flour - 150g
- butter - 80g, unsalted, chilled
- water - 50g
- salt - pinch
- sour cream - 250g
- Gruyère cheese - 200g, cubed
- bacon - 5 slices, shortcut, roughly chopped
- fresh thyme - 2 Tbsp, leaves
- fresh chives - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- eggs - 4
- cherry tomatoes - 8, quartered
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Place the plain flour (150g), chilled unsalted butter (80g), water (50g) and salt (pinch) in the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 15 seconds.
- Place the pastry dough on a piece of clingfilm and form into a disc. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry to a large circle that fits a 26cm tart dish. Line the tart dish with the pastry and prick the base with a fork.
- Line the tart with baking paper and fill with ceramic pie weights or dry beans. Bake blind in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove the beans and baking paper and bake for another 5 minutes until golden and baked. Set aside to cool.
- Add sour cream (250g), cubed Gruyère cheese (200g), chopped bacon (5 slices), fresh thyme leaves (2 Tbsp) and fresh chopped chives (2 Tbsp) to the bowl. Pulse Closed Lid / Turbo / 2 x 1 second blasts.
- Spread the filling into the bottom of the tart.
- Form 4 slight wells into the mixture and crack eggs (4) into them.
- Line the edge of the tart with the quartered cherry tomatoes (8).
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until golden brown and set.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.