Asparagus makes this soup a colourful lunch that you can easily prepare ahead. The spinach adds an extra kick of nutrients, which we love. It's a light and healthy soup for anyone who wants to stay healthy without sacrificing taste. Check out the bottom of the recipe for handy freezer tips.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Boy was this GREEN! I really did not know how I would go with this recipe but it was really tasty. I will definitely make it again. Don't be scared to give this one a go." -Megs
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Dairy
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 20 minutes
Can be frozen
- shallots - 2, peeled
- spring onions - 3, in large chunks
- garlic cloves - 3, peeled
- butter - 20g (*or olive oil for DF)
- asparagus - 500g, fresh, spears
- spinach - 100g, fresh
- vegetable stock - 700g, liquid
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- pepper - 1/2 tsp, black, ground
- olive oil - for frying
- Place the shallots (2), spring onions (3) and garlic cloves (3) in the bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the butter (20g). Program 5 minutes / 120C* / Speed 1.
- Meanwhile, chop the tips off the asparagus (500g) and set aside.
- Chop the stalks roughly, discarding the woody ends.
- Add the asparagus stalks, spinach (100g), stock (700g), salt (1/2 tsp) and pepper (1/2 tsp) to the bowl. Program 15 minutes / 100C / Speed 1.
- Meanwhile, fry the tips in a frying pan with a drizzle of olive oil.
- You can serve as is or to make a smooth soup, blitz the soup Speed 8 / 30 seconds. Start on Speed 4, then slowly move up to Speed 8. Please read your machine's user manual for correct method of safely blending soups as each machine varies.
- Serve immediately with the asparagus tips.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.
- Freeze in airtight containers in your preferred portions and thaw as needed.
- To reheat, just place the thawed mixture in the mixer bowl. Program 10 minutes / 90C / Speed 2, or until the temperature reaches 90C.