Asian Tuna Salad
We are taking a traditional French dish and turning it on its head! With this Asian twist on a Nicoise salad, we take a relatively cheap ingredient and dress it up so you will be happy to serve this to family and friends.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "The smell of the dressing was so fresh and reminded me of a recent trip to Thailand. I would never have thought to put this dressing and a tuna salad together, but it just works." - Liz
No: Gluten / Dairy
Contains: Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Nuts
Preparation Time 18 minutes
Cooking Time 12 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- water - 500g
- eggs - 6, large
- green beans - 300g, tops removed, cut into 5-6cm pieces
- water - iced water
- Asian salad greens - 300-400g
- tuna - 425g tin, drained well and broken into chunks
- cherry tomatoes - 300-400g, sliced in half
- cashew nuts - 100g roasted, whole or chopped (for options see Notes)
- fresh coriander - 10g, leaves, washed and dried
- chilli - 1/2-1, long, red, deseeded, optional
- garlic clove - 1, large, peeled
- fish sauce - 80g (*ensure GF if required)
- lime juice - 60g, fresh
- honey - 3 tsp
- olive oil - 60g
- Place water (500g) into the mixer bowl and insert the internal steaming basket. Add eggs (6) to the basket and place the green beans (300g) on top of the eggs. Program 12 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 1, measuring cap on.
- Once cooked, ensure you have a bowl 3/4 full with iced water ready. With the aid of a spatula, remove the internal steaming basket and gently pour the contents into the iced water.
- Allow to stand for a minute or so, then remove the beans and return them to the internal steaming basket to drain. Leave eggs in the chilled water. Discard the steaming water from the mixer bowl.
- In a large bowl, place salad greens (300-400g), coriander leaves (10g), tuna (425g tin), tomatoes (300-400g), nuts (100g) and the drained beans.
- Peel the eggs and cut into quarters, then place in bowl with other salad ingredients.
- Place coriander leaves (10g), chilli (1/2-1) and garlic clove (1) to the mixer bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the fish sauce (80g), lime juice (60g), honey (3 tsp) and olive oil (60g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 20 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Just before serving salad, pour half the dressing over salad and toss gently. Pour the remaining half into a serving jug and serve alongside salad.
- You can leave the tuna out of this salad and serve it as a side salad to a BBQ.
- If you don’t like the flavour of coriander, you can substitute parsley and basil.
- Substitute the cashews with flaked almonds, or for a nut free version use sunflower seeds.
- This dressing could be made a day ahead and kept in an airtight container in the fridge. Remove it from fridge 10 minutes before serving and shake well.
- You can use this dressing for any Asian style salad.