Asian Brown Rice Salad
This is a perfect midweek meal to serve as a vegetarian main, or a side salad for a BBQ, or with the Teriyaki Chicken or Salmon. The flavours used are fresh and delicious, and a good way to increase your servings of fresh vegetables.
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Tree Nuts
Total Preparation Time 45 minutes
Serves 6-8 as a side
- brown rice - 200g
- onion - 70g, red (1 small)
- garlic cloves - 3
- chilli - 1 (choose a chilli to match your desired level of heat, from 1 green chilli without seeds, up to 1 red chilli with seeds)
- ginger - 15g, peeled
- sesame oil - 10g
- dried coriander - 1/2 tsp, ground
- coconut aminos - 20g, or tamari sauce
- capsicum - 1, red, sliced into strips
- sesame seeds - 2 Tbsp
- broccoli - 1 head, in bite sized florets (approx 260g)
- zucchini - 2, cut into bite sized pieces (approx 300g)
- carrots - 150g, chopped into bite sized pieces
- lime - 1, juice only
- sesame oil - 1 Tbsp
- rice wine vinegar - 1 tsp
- coconut aminos - 1 tsp, or tamari sauce
- salt - 2 pinches
- Soak brown rice (200g) in water. Set aside.
- Add onion (70g), garlic (3), chilli (1) and ginger (15g) to the bowl.
- Chop Speed 7 / 1 second. Push down sides.
- Add sesame oil (10g), ground coriander (1/2 tsp) and coconut aminos (20g).
- Program 6 minutes / 110C* / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- While the mixture is cooking, prepare your vegetables, sitting them into the lower dish of the steaming attachment.
- With 2 minutes of cooking to go, add 2 measuring cups of water through the lid.
- When cooking is finished, add capsicum strips and sesame seeds (2 Tbsp) to the bowl.
- Program 2 minutes / 110C* / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Set mixture aside, without cleaning bowl.
- Add 1L of water to the bowl.
- Drain soaking brown rice into rice basket and place into the bowl.
- Put the lid on and put the steaming attachment into place.
- Set 22 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Check that vegetables are cooked to your preferred level, then remove vegetables, putting them into your serving dish (or cook for longer if required).
- Continue cooking rice, set 3 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Remove rice basket and drain water from the bowl.
- Add cooked rice to the bowl with the cooked onion / capsicum / sauce mixture from Step 9.
- Combine Reverse+Speed 3 / 5 seconds.
- Add the rice to the vegetables and toss with salad servers.
- In a small bowl combine lime juice (1), sesame oil (1 Tbsp), rice wine vinegar (1 tsp), coconut aminos (1 tsp) and salt (2 pinches).
- Pour over the salad and combine well with salad servers.
- Serve hot, or refrigerate and serve cold.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.