Apricot Pie Filling
Hot tip: Make this pie filling when apricots are in abundance during the summer months and freeze it for winter. You can then enjoy apricot pie in the cooler months without the expense of out of season fruits. As an alternative, you can also use tinned apricots. Use this as the filling with the Sweet Pie Pastry or Grain Free Sweet Pie Pastry as the base.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "I love the flavour twist from using cardamom to spice up the apricots– it is an inspired addition, and we all loved it." -Kylie
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes + pie / pastry preparation
Cooking Time 10 minutes
Makes enough for 1 x 22cm pie
Can be frozen
- sugar - 100g
- cardamom - 1/2-1 tsp, ground, to taste
- apricots - 1.5kg, stones removed and quartered (or approx. 2 x 800g tins of apricot halves, drained)
- cornflour - 30g (*ensure GF if required)
- lemon - 1, juice only
- vanilla - 1 tsp, extract
- almonds - 2 Tbsp, flaked
- Place sugar (100g) and cardamom (1/2-1 tsp) into the bowl. Mill Speed 9 / 20 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Insert the whisk attachment. Add apricots (1.5kg), cornflour (30g), lemon juice (from 1 lemon) and vanilla (1 tsp) to the bowl. Program 10 minutes / 90C / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Pour the apricot mixture into the prepared pastry shell and spread into an even layer.
- Sprinkle flaked almonds (2 Tbsp) over the filling.
- Cover with another layer of pastry, pinching the edges together.
- Brush with some beaten egg or milk.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes in a 180C oven.