Apple Spice Cake
Apple cake is always a winner. This is our take on it. With the addition of aromatic spices and a delicious cinnamon sugar coating, this Apple Spice Cake is sure to impress.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Easy to make and tasted really yummy. Would be a good dessert served with caramel sauce and a scoop of ice cream." - Amy
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten / Dairy
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour
Can be frozen
- apples - 2 ,large, peeled and cubed into 1cm x 1cm sizes
- cinnamon - 1 tsp
- Cake batter:
- butter - 130g, cubed (*use DF spread if required)
- sugar - 100g
- cinnamon - 1 tsp, ground
- mixed spice - 1 tsp
- nutmeg - 1 tsp, ground
- self raising flour - 350g (*use GF flour if required)
- eggs - 2
- milk - 250g (*use DF milk if required)
- sugar - 2 Tbsp
- cinnamon - 1/2 Tbsp, ground
- butter - 10g, melted (*use DF spread if required)
- cream - for serving
- Preheat oven to 170C. Grease or line a 20cm springform tin with baking paper.
- Coat cubed apple in cinnamon (1 tsp only). Set aside in a small bowl.
- Add butter (130g) to the mixer bowl. Speed 8 / 30 seconds. Scrape down.
- Add sugar (100g only), cinnamon (1 tsp only), mixed spice (1 tsp) and ground nutmeg (1 tsp). Program 1 minute / Speed 4. You may need to stop and scrape down the bowl at the 30 second mark.
- Add flour (350g), eggs (2) and milk (250g). Blitz on Speed 5 until just combined. Scrape down sides.
- Repeat Speed 5 / 10 seconds . Pour into prepared tin.
- Place apples on top and press into batter slightly. Bake for 1 hour or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, combine sugar (2 Tbsp) and cinnamon (1/2 tsp).
- Once cake has cooked, brush melted butter (10g) over the top and sprinkle over the cinnamon sugar whilst hot.
- Allow to cool and serve with a dollop of fresh cream.