Apple Cinnamon Pikelets
These yummy pikelets were featured on the TRTLMT blog in 2016. We loooooooooove pikelets in our houses, so when I realised the freezer was empty and there were no more lunchbox snacks left, I thought I would get cooking. Our fruit bowl was overflowing with apples, so I thought why not whip up a batch of apple cinnamon pikelets? Anything with apple and / or cinnamon is always a winner in our house. These make for a great breakfast served with a little honey, but they make for an even better dessert topped with a big scoop of vanilla bean ice cream! - Peta
Recipe Tester Feedback: "We have been fans of Peta's pikelets since trying her Fluffy Vanilla Pikelets in her book Ready, Steady, Lunch!, so I was very excited to try this recipe. They were light and fluffy but more importantly they were DELICIOUS! What a great way to get some extra fruit into your kids and use up your not-so-fresh fruit at the same time. I would freeze them in portions for lunchboxes or a quick snack on the go." - Sharree
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 10-20 minutes
Can be frozen
- apple - 150g, with skin on, cored and quartered
- cinnamon - 1 tsp ground
- self raising flour - 300g
- sugar - 80g, can be reduced
- milk - 200g
- eggs - 2, large
- vanilla - 2 tsp, extract
- baking powder - 1 tsp
- salt - 1/2 tsp, finely ground
- butter - 50g, melted, plus extra for greasing
- honey - to serve
- If you need to melt the butter in the mixer, add butter (50g) and program 3 minutes / 70C / Speed 2 and stop once fully melted. Set aside.
- Add the apple (150g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Repeat Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the cinnamon (1 tsp), self raising flour (300g), sugar (80g), milk (200g), eggs (2), vanilla (2 tsp), baking powder (1 tsp) and salt (1/2 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 6 / 20-30 seconds or until lump free.
- Add the melted butter (50g) to the bowl. Mix on Speed 6 until just combined.
- Place small spoonfuls of the batter into a greased frying pan on medium heat.
- Once bubbles start to appear, flip over and cook for 30 seconds or until cooked through.
- Serve warm with a drizzle of honey.