Apple Berry Pie Filling
We are giving apple pie a little twist! Apples and berries work so well together we just had to include them in our pie section. The great thing about this pie is you can use any berries you like, so utilise those that are in season. They are not only cheaper but have so much more flavour. Use this as the filling with the Sweet Pie Pastry or Grain Free Sweet Pie Pastry as the base.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "The apple and berry combination is a match made in heaven. This is a great tasting pie, and it will make you never want to buy another frozen premade pie again. I love mine served with a dollop of ice cream." -Shannah
*Variations: Can be made without Dairy
Preparation Time 5 minutes + pie / pastry preparation
Cooking Time 14 minutes
Makes enough for 1 x 22cm pie
Can be frozen
- apple - 1kg Granny Smith
- butter - 80g, (*can use DF spread)
- brown sugar - 50g
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp, ground
- vanilla - 1 tsp, extract
- lemon - 1/2, juice only
- berries of choice - 400g, fresh or frozen
- Peel, core and chop the apples (1kg) into chunks.
- Place butter (80g) into bowl. Program 4 minutes / 90C / Speed 2.
- Add sugar (50g), cinnamon (1/2 tsp), vanilla (1 tsp) and lemon juice (from 1/2 lemon) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 5 seconds.
- Insert the whisk attachment. Add apple chunks (1kg) to the bowl. Program 10 minutes / 90C / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Remove the whisk attachment. Add berries (400g) to the bowl. Mix Reverse+Speed 1 / 10 seconds to just combine.
- Drain off excess liquid, leaving a tablespoon or so behind.
- Pour the apple berry mixture into the prepared pastry shell and spread into an even layer.
- Cover with another layer of pastry, pinching the edges together.
- Brush with some beaten egg or milk.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes in a 180C oven.