The original recipe for this comes from the lovely Alisha of Naughty Naturopath Mum (great stuff on her site – check it out!) and was converted to a thermo mixer recipe by The 4 Blades. It is a much healthier alternative to the popular lunchbox snacks (far less ingredients!) and much cheaper to make too.
This recipe was also featured in Episode 17 of The 4 Blades podcast.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Best thing in the world! Takes a matter of minutes to make and the kids loved them. They want them in their lunchboxes everyday. Winning by saving money too." - Samantha
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Total Preparation Time 5 minutes + setting time
Makes 20 squares (depending on cutting dimensions and depth)
Can be frozen
- coconut oil - 50g
- rice malt syrup - 150-200g, or honey (adjust according to preferred sweetness)
- cacao powder - 10g
- puffed rice - 35g, millet or other grain (note: in making this gluten free, we are assuming the use of whole puffed rice grains rather than rice bubbles or the like, which are heavier)
- desiccated coconut - 90g
- chia seeds - 20g
- Line a square cake tin with baking paper.
- Add coconut oil (50g), rice malt syrup (150-200g) and cacao (10g) to the bowl. Program 3 minutes / 80C / Speed 2.
- Add puffed grains (35g), coconut (90g) and chia seeds (20g) to the bowl. Mix Closed Lid / Reverse+Turbo / 4 x 1 second blasts. Scrape down sides.
- Push into the cake tin and leave to set in the fridge or freezer until hard.
- Cut up and enjoy!