- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 46 minutes
- Serving: Serves more than 10
What's kasoundi? It is a spicy Indian-style chutney that tastes amazing with everything from curries to cold cut sandwiches. This recipe has been shared with us by Alyce Alexandra. The kasoundi is so flavoursome and versatile, yet made with fairly standard household ingredients, so it won’t cost much to make. For this reason, it makes an amazing gift – you could get four of five jars of kasoundi out of this batch, and gift them to your nearest and dearest.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This recipe makes a lot of chutney and is packed full of flavour and heat. The chutney is so versatile – so far I have used it on eggs, on wraps, in sandwiches and I'm thinking it will make a lovely curry!" - Shannah
No: Dairy / Egg
Contains: Gluten / Nuts
*Variation: Can be made without Nuts
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 46 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- cumin - 45g, seeds
- salt - 40g, rock
- chilli flakes - 15-30g, to taste
- ginger - 130g, fresh, peeled and roughly chopped
- garlic cloves - 65g, peeled
- chillies - 30g, green, deseeded
- macadamia oil - 130g (*can use an alternative oil for NF)
- mustard seeds - 45g, black
- turmeric - 15g, ground
- tomatoes - 1kg, ripe, roughly chopped
- malt vinegar - 250g
- brown sugar - 130g
- Place the cumin seeds (45g), rock salt (40g) and chilli flakes (15-30g) in the bowl. Mill Speed 8 / 20 seconds. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Place the chopped ginger (130g), garlic cloves (65g) and deseeded chillies (30g) in the bowl. Chop Speed 6 / 8 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Chop Speed 6 / 2 seconds. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Add the macadamia oil (130g), mustard seeds (45g), ground turmeric (15g) and the prepared chilli flake mixture to the bowl. Program 3 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Add the prepared ginger mixture to the bowl. Program 3 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 3.
- Add the chopped tomatoes (1kg), malt vinegar (150g) and brown sugar (130g) to the bowl. Program 40 minutes / 100C / Speed 1.5, measuring cap off. Set the internal steaming basket on top of the lid to prevent spatters.
- Pour mixture into warm sterilised jars. Refrigerate and use within two weeks or at your own discretion.
Note: These will keep unopened for up to six months. Once opened, keep stored in the refrigerator.