This spinach and potato curry is probably my favourite Indian dish to order when eating out. I love nothing more than dipping naan bread into this before gobbling it all up. This recipe is a variation of a friend's of my Mum's recipe. For maximum flavour we cook the dish in a frying pan on the stove... for ease, we do the preparation in our thermomixer! - Peta
No: Dairy / Gluten / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 40 minutes
Can be frozen but best served fresh or reheated the next day
- potato - 400g, peeled and cut in large chunks
- water - 600g, hot
- ghee - 2 Tbsp, or coconut oil
- onion - 1, peeled and quartered
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- cumin - 2 tsp, seeds
- dried coriander - 1 tsp, ground
- turmeric - 1 tsp
- garam masala - 1 tsp
- fenugreek - 1/2 Tbsp, leaves
- spinach - 250g, frozen, thawed
- water - 2 Tbsp
- Place potatoes (400g) into internal steaming basket.
- Pour hot water (600g) over the top.
- 20 minutes / 100C / Speed 2.
- Drain potatoes and empty out water.
- Add onion (1) and garlic (2 cloves) to bowl. Speed 5 / 6 seconds.
- Place a large frying pan onto the stove and turn to high. You will be working with high heat but working quickly.
- Add ghee or coconut oil (2 Tbsp) to pan.
- Add the onion and garlic mix and stir quickly to soften.
- Add mustard seeds (1 tsp), cumin seeds (2 tsp), ground coriander (1 tsp), tumeric (1 tsp) and garam marsala (1 tsp).
- Once spices are aromatic, add fenugreek leaves (1/2 Tbsp), the drained potatoes and the spinach (250g) to pan.
- Stir to combine. Add water (2 Tbsp).
- Stir to incorporate and reduce the liquid.
- Serve with some of our delicious naan bread.