All Orange Muffins
These muffins have a whole lot of orange in them. Not only do they use the zest and the juice of an orange, but they are also full of carrot. What they don’t have is refined sugar. As with most gluten free baking, they are best eaten on the day they are made, or pop them in the microwave for 10-20 seconds after being in the freezer. So they're better for work lunchboxes where you have a microwave on hand. They also make a great breakfast or snack on the run.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "These muffins rose so beautifully, which is such a treat for gluten free! They are light and fluffy and yummy! Without nuts this will be a great one to pop in lunchboxes or for an impromptu morning tea." - Rach
No: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
Preparation Time 30 minutes
Cooking Time 15-20 minutes
Can be frozen
- carrots - 160g (approx. 2), topped and tailed, roughly chopped
- orange - 1, juice and zest only
- plain flour - 350g, GF
- baking powder - 3 tsp, GF
- cinnamon - 1 tsp, ground
- xanthan gum - pinch
- salt - pinch
- maple syrup - 50g
- coconut oil - 110g
- eggs - 5
- dates - 200g (approx. 14), Medjool, pitted and chopped by hand
- nuts of choice - 50g, mixed, chopped, optional (*omit for NF)
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease muffin tins.
- Place carrots (160g) into bowl. Mix Speed 6 / 3 seconds. Set aside.
- Put orange zest (from 1 orange) into the bowl. Grate Speed 10 / 20 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Repeat Speed 10 / 20 seconds.
- Add plain flour (350g), baking powder (3 tsp), cinnamon (1 tsp), xanthan gum (pinch) and salt (pinch). Mix Closed Lid / Turbo / 3 x 0.5 second blasts. Scrape down sides.
- Add maple syrup (50g), coconut oil (110g), eggs (5) and orange juice (from 1 orange) to the bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 10 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the chopped dates (200g), chopped nuts (50g) and the grated carrot to the bowl. Mix Reverse+Speed 5 / 15 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Check that dates are evenly spread out. Mix Reverse+Speed 5 / 10 seconds.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tins so that they are 3/4 full. Let them sit for 5 minutes.
- Place into oven and cook for 15-20 minutes, until risen and golden.